The 3 Keys for Unleashing Momentum
"Do not shrink your goals to meet the current situation. Always upgrade your mindset, your motivation, and your methods to create momentum and achieve your dreams."
How can you find the key to unlock unstoppable momentum in your life?
Today, I want to talk about creating momentum in your learning and your life.
To become an unstoppable force where you don’t bounce back, you jump forward and create velocity. Because that’s what momentum is.
If you look up the word in physics, momentum equals mass times velocity. You are mass, and I want you to become the mass in motion. Because when you don’t have momentum, you’re stuck or held back.
An object in motion tends to stay in action, but an object at rest tends to remain at rest.
I’d like you to think about what area in your life would like to have more positive momentum towards your hopes and dreams.
Where would you like to be an unstoppable force, and how would you apply that momentum?
Listen in as I share the three keys for unleashing positive momentum.
The Limitless Model
- The Limitless model is the framework for creating momentum.
- Remember: limitless isn’t about being perfect. It’s about advancing and progressing beyond what you currently believe is possible.
- You advance through momentum, by keeping that speed and motion going.
- Motion is life and you’re either growing or not growing.
- It can be easy to get habituated when you hear something over and over again. Remind yourself that this is the key to mastery.
- Never take the fundamentals for granted.
- The experts, the pros, they never get tired of the basics.
- Behind every principle is a promise.
- From this framework you’ll be able to create your own strategies, resources, and tools for creating momentum in your life and learning.
- This limitless framework is a way to look at the world of growth and advancement through three lenses: mindset, motivation, and methods.
- Think of mindset as a vehicle. You are the mass, the vehicle, in motion creating velocity.
- First, you have to go through the process of unlimiting your mindset.
- If you have beliefs, attitudes, or assumptions about something it will stop your momentum.
- Beliefs like something isn’t possible, or you’re not capable of it, or you don’t deserve it.
- These limiting beliefs behave as brakes in your vehicle. And when you listen to those beliefs, you’re locking the brakes and coming to a halt.
- If you’ve ever tried to drive with your brakes engaged, you know you don’t get very far.
- Behaviors like self-sabotaging or taking one step forward then two steps back happen when you lock your brakes.
- If your mindset is that you don’t believe your goal is possible, it’s going to halt your momentum.
- It doesn’t matter how many great methods you learn, if you have limiting beliefs, you won’t be able to gain velocity or momentum in using them.
- All behavior is belief driven.
- Henry Ford said, “Whether you think you can or you think you can’t, either way, you’re right.”
- Once your mindset is unlimited, or in terms of the vehicle, you’ve released the brakes, now you need to address the fuel.
- The second M in the limitless formula is motivation.
- Motivation is really all about energy management.
- The motivation formula is P x E x S³
- The first letter in the formula, the P stands for purpose.
- If you want to live an inspiring life, you need to connect with the things that light you up.
- Train yourself to ask this question: Why must I do this?
- Think about the rewards that will come from following through.
- Purpose can come through the rewards, but it can also come through not receiving the rewards.
- Purpose is a feeling. It’s feeling driven, but it’s also feeling the disappointment or discomfort if you think about failure.
- That feeling sparks your fuel. It gets you out of bed and pushes you to do the hard things. Connect with your purpose.
- The second letter, the E stands for energy.
- All the things I talk about on our podcast, our online programs, and our book, Limitless, is to give you energy.
- When you’re tired or suffer from brain fatigue, that can lead to a lack of motivation.
- If you don’t have fuel in the car, you can’t make it to your destination.
- Ask yourself: Are you eating the right foods? Exercising? Managing your stress?
- Even understanding who is taking your energy is important.
- Who you spend time with is who you become.
- Make sure you have a positive peer group.
- Manage your sleep. If you’re not sleeping, you’re lacking the fuel you need.
- Purpose is the energy of your life.
- The third piece of the motivation formula is S³, which stands for small, simple steps.
- These are tiny actions you can take that require very little energy.
- Ask yourself: what is the tiniest action I can take right now, that will give me progress towards this goal and that I can’t fail to do?
- Instead of working out for the perfect body, put on your running shoes.
- Instead of reading an entire book, read a single line.
- You won’t stop at one line, just like you won’t stop flossing at one tooth.
- Because these tiny steps don’t require a lot of energy, it helps you create energy, which then becomes your fuel.
- Remember: inch by inch, it’s a cinch. Yard by yard, it’s too hard.
- When things become overwhelming, clarity is power. And you can get clarity by breaking things down into small, simple steps.
- Where mindset releases the brake, so you don’t self-sabotage; motivation provides the fuel, so you don’t procrastinate and put things off.
- The third M in the limitless formula is methods.
- At this point, you’re in this vehicle making you a mass in motion. You’ve freed the brakes with your mindset. You’ve given yourself plenty of fuel through motivation. The next step is upgrading your methods, your ability to drive the vehicle.
- In order to achieve momentum, you need to start by upgrading your methods.
- If you’re using old methods, you’re not going to get the best results.
- Make sure you haven’t downgraded what’s possible to fit the current situation.
- This is the hands-on training.
- Methods come from competency and are the KSA’s of driving.
- KSA stands for knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- With competence, comes confidence.
- In our program, we talk about the competence-confidence loop.
- The more competent you get at something, the more confident you are when using it.
- The more confidence you have, the more you want to use that skill. Which is momentum.
- Every skill you train in, creates positive momentum forward.
An Unstoppable Force
- There is no pill, but there is a process.
- Imagine momentum as a circle, a Venn diagram of the limitless model.
- Within that circle is a circle of motivation, mindset, and methods.
- Each success within each circle creates more motion. And then they begin to create momentum together.
- Mindset is your positive thinking, where success breeds more success.
- Motivation is connecting with your purpose.
- You’re eating the best foods, exercising, sleeping, and breaking tasks down into small, simple steps.
- Methods are your capabilities and competencies, which increase your confidence.
- You become limitless and gain momentum by doing all three.
- When you unlimit your mindset, you have released the brakes and aren’t self-sabotaging.
- When you unlimit your motivation, you have plenty of fuel to reach your goals and dreams.
- When you unlimit your methods, you upgrade your skills and abilities so you can achieve the results you desire and deserve.
- All three circles are moving within the circle creating the limitless state. This creates momentum in your life.
- Momentum is not only attainable; it’s also sustainable.
- If you’re persistent you can achieve it, but when you’re consistent you can keep it.
- Spend time training and unlocking your mindset, motivation, and methods.
- When you unlock all three, you become an unstoppable force of nature. You get the life and learning you deserve and desire.
- Momentum helps you bounce forward, not backwards. It allows you to accelerate.
- Use this framework for becoming a mass in motion and apply it to your business, career, and relationships.
- Ask how you’re being held back. How do you unlock your mindset?
- What’s going to give you the fuel and motivation to move forward? What do you need to eat? How do you need to sleep? How are you going to connect with your purpose?
- What are the best methods to get where you want to go?
- Warren Buffet once asked to imagine you were given a brand-new vehicle at 16. But the catch was, it would be the only vehicle you’ll ever have for the rest of your life.
- Your body, your brain, that is your one vehicle.
- You are the greatest project you’re ever going to get to work on. So take the time to take care of yourself.
Share With Us
- Take a screenshot of this episode, tag us on social media (@JimKwik) and share one thing you’re going to do to create positive momentum in your learning or your life.
- I’ll be reposting my favorite posts and will gift one lucky listener a copy of my books, Limitless.
- Get your copy of Limitless, here.
Related Kwik Brain Episodes
Episode 162: Applying the Limitless Steps
Episode 177: Understanding What Drives You
Episode 189: The Power of Practice with Jim Kwik
Episode 199: Unlearning Fear with the Limitless Model