Defeating Self-Doubt & Rejection with Jamie Kern Lima
"Sometimes it’s as important to know when to let go of a dream as when to go after one."
Jamie Kern Lima
How do you defeat self-doubt and rejection?
I am thrilled to welcome our extraordinary guest, Jamie Kern Lima, to the show to discuss her amazing journey and new book, Believe IT: How to Go from Underestimated to Unstoppable. Jamie is a self-made entrepreneur, champion of women, philanthropist, keynote speaker, and Co-founder of IT Cosmetics.
In this episode, she shares her powerful story of overcoming her own self-doubt and facing rejection while working to revolutionize the beauty industry with a standard of inclusivity.
Listen in, as Jamie offers a wealth of encouragement for developing a deep enough why that won’t allow you to quit despite any fears, rejection, or self-doubt.
KNOWING WHEN TO LET GO
- Belief is everything. You can learn wonderful methods for investing, starting a business, improving your health, or even speed reading, but if your mindset says it’s not possible or you don’t deserve it, you will remain stuck.
- When Jamie was a waitress at Denny’s she had a deep feeling that she was meant to give, create or serve at a greater capacity than she had been, but she let doubt get in the way.
- She had a feeling she was meant to do more but would question whether she was good enough or if she had come from the “right” family.
- As a little girl, Oprah was her T.V. mentor and inspiration for becoming a talk show host. As her career progressed, she became a journalist that interviewed other people to learn about their stories.
- At some point, she developed a hereditary skin condition called Rosacea. Her skin would become inflamed with bumps and redness while she was anchoring the news live.
- These occurrences made her fear that she would lose viewers and potentially her job.
- Sometimes we think we are going through a setback or disappointment, but with the right mindset, those setbacks can become setups for what we are supposed to do.
- Jamie began looking for and trying all sorts of makeup that would cover up her skin condition, but nothing would work.
- She had an epiphany that there must have been so many other people that experienced her same struggle. Something happened at that moment where she realized she would need to let go of the dream of being a talk show host to become the one to develop a makeup formula to serve people just like her.
- Sometimes it’s as important to know when to let go of a dream as when to go after one.
- Jamie knew nothing about makeup; she didn’t know anyone in the industry, but she had a realization that it was not just about being able to cover up her skin condition but about shifting the culture of the beauty industry to be more inclusive.
- All of the ads and images she saw growing up were heavily photoshopped and never included models that had problematic skin.
- Her entire life she realized she would see the commercials and aspire to look like those models, while also feeling like she was never good enough.
- After reflection, she developed a deep why that would never allow her to quit. Jamie set out to develop a company that would have products that work and would use models of all ages, sizes, skin tones, and skin challenges.
- Jamie’s why became her fuel as she set out to revolutionize the beauty industry.
- When we assign a why to a dream or goal, a lot of times it’s not deep enough to make sure we don’t quit when it gets hard.
UNDERESTIMATED TO UNSTOPPABLE
- Jamie poured all of her money into making a product that works and launched her company in her living room.
- She believed her launch was going to be huge, but for 3 years she could not pay herself and received hundreds of rejections by companies like QVC, ULTA, Sephora, and all of the department stores.
- None of those companies believed in her dream, her products, or her vision.
- Despite all of the rejection, Jamie had a gut feeling that she was on the right track.
- Sometimes it’s hard to keep pushing when the closest people to us, i.e. family, friends, or partner, do not believe in our vision or call us crazy or unqualified.
- When we don’t see proof around us, it can be challenging not to second guess our own gut or abilities.
- So many people let self-doubt get in the way and end up quitting, never even trying, or talking themselves out of their own truth.
- Through perseverance, Jamie took a company she started in her living room, sold it to L’Oreal for $1.2 Billion, and became the first female CEO in L’Oreal’s 100+ year history.
- Jamie’s book, Believe IT: How to Go from Underestimated to Unstoppable, takes you on her full journey of taking setbacks and turning them into setups for success! Get your copy, here.
- Are you ready to believe in yourself and step into all of who you are?
- It’s time to break through all that has held you back on your journey of becoming who you are truly meant to be.
SHARE WITH US
- Take a screenshot of this episode, tag us on social media (@JamieKernLima & @JimKwik), and share your greatest “aha!” moment from this episode with us.
- Share one thing you are ready to overcome and break through. Tag us!
- Get Jamie’s book, Becoming Unstoppable, here.
Related Kwik Brain Episodes You Might Enjoy
Episode 214: SIX Things to Stop Doing in 2021
Episode 199: Unlearning Fear with the Limitless Model
Episode 193: Overcoming Fear and Self-Doubt with Lewis Howes
Episode 184: Mindset of Champions with Dr. Jeff Spencer