SIX Things to Stop Doing in 2021
"Don't wish, work. Don't say, show. Don't promise, prove."
What are some of the things we can stop doing to win in 2021?
We all have a to-do list, but I think it is even more important to have a not-to-do list. More often than not, many of us fill our schedules and lives with the very things that are diminishing our peace of mind, profitability, productivity, positivity, and performance.
In this episode, I share the importance of letting go of the things that hold you back and weigh you down. I believe you are meant to soar, and by removing some of those unconscious behaviors and patterns, your life can become limitless.
If you are ready to advance beyond what you ever thought was possible and win in 2021, this episode is for you.
YOUR NOT-TO-DO LIST
- Stop sitting all day. They say sitting is the new smoking.
- Every 30 minutes, get up and move or walk.
- As your body moves your brain grooves.
- Stop looking at blue light at night or in the morning. It decreases melatonin production.
- Melatonin is needed to put you into your parasympathetic mode.
- You have to optimize your sleep to win.
- Wait at least 30 minutes in the morning before looking at your phone because you are rewiring your brain to be distracted by responding to every notification. This also trains your brain to be reactive.
- Stop caring what other people think so much. If you fuel your life on the opinions of other people around you, positive or negative, you will run out of gas.
- No one has the right to define who you are. The only opinion about you or your dream that matters is yours.
- We do ourselves a disservice when we let other people’s opinions distort our own reality. It subverts our own thoughts and drowns out our true inner voice.
- Learn from feedback and mentors but know that you alone are responsible for your life.
- Creating your life can be scary but regret is scarier. One day you will take your final breath and none of the opinions of others or your fears will matter; what will matter is how you loved, how you lived, how you laughed, and how you learned.
- One of the greatest regrets people have is having lived their life based on the expectations of others.
- Have the courage to be yourself.
- Stop complaining. You can make excuses or you can make progress, but you can’t make both.
- Complaining might be just, but it is useless because it changes nothing.
- Complaining uses up an immense amount of time, energy, and bandwidth.
- You can’t be upset about the results you didn’t get for the work you didn’t do.
- Don’t wish, work. Don’t say, show. Don’t promise, prove. Accept responsibility for your thoughts and actions. Be accountable to your commitments. Own and learn from your mistakes and results will follow.
- If you only do what’s easy, life gets so hard. If you do the hard work, then life gets a lot easier.
- Complaining is draining to the complainer and the listener.
- Instead of complaining, start expressing what you are grateful for.
- For entrepreneurs: You have to feed your business until it feeds you. It takes time. In the beginning, you will be grossly underpaid.
- Every professional was once an amateur. Every champion was once a beginner.
- Little by little a little becomes a lot. Consistency compounds.
- Intelligent and consistent action cures almost anything.
- Knowledge is not power, it is potential power. It only becomes power when we activate it.
- None of the books, lessons, or programs work unless we do that work that comes with them. We must apply it.
- If you read a book but you don’t apply it, you are no better off than the person who could not read it at all.
- If you really want things to shift in 2021, then you have to make changes yourself.
- Do the best you can with what you have and the results will speak for themselves.
- You don’t have to wait for a greater life to be grateful. Be grateful and you will have a greater life.
- What you appreciate (value), appreciates.
- Instead of focusing on the troubles you have, you can give thanks for the troubles you do not have.
- Remember my 4 G’s: Grow, Grit, Gratitude, Give
- Life is the lottery that we’ve already won.
- Being able to wake up today is a gift that many people did not get.
- Difficult times can define you, diminish you, destroy you, or develop you. You decide.
- Stop Overthinking & Self-Criticizing. Wanting everything to be perfect stops progress before anything has a chance to develop.
- It’s not about being perfect, it’s about progress. It’s about the consistent daily efforts that create incremental improvements.
- Release self-judgment.
- Instead of criticizing yourself, take a moment to observe yourself. The former leads to self-doubt and the latter leads to self-awareness and improvements.
- Replace judgment with curiosity and your curiosity will lead to greater growth.
- Stop Saying You’re Busy. If you constantly say you are busy, you will unconsciously look for ways to make your life busier. That’s why you are so overwhelmed.
- The goal is not to be busy, the goal is to reach your values and find out what’s most important in your life, not to be burnt out.
- Many people are burnt out because they are doing too little of what makes them come alive.
- We are all on a great adventure to realize our fullest potential, part of it is letting go of what you need to. Some of the stuff you are carrying is not yours to carry and it’s weighing you down.
- Part of self-care is falling in love with the person in the mirror who has been through so much but you’re are still standing.
- If there is ever a time when you don’t know what to do, don’t just ask yourself what you need to do, ask yourself who you need to be.
SHARE WITH US
- Take a screenshot of this episode, tag me on social media (@JimKwik), and share your greatest “aha!” moment from this episode with us.
- Get my book, Limitless, here.
Related Kwik Brain Episodes You Might Enjoy
Episode 208: 10 Things I Learned in 2020
Episode 202: The Greatest Virtue for Your Brain
Episode 200: Five Steps to RESET Your Brain
Episode 197: My Morning Routine for a Limitless Day