Turn Your Brain On with Dave Asprey
"Caffeine is Mother Nature’s original smart drug."
Today’s question is: how do you turn your brain back on? You might feel like you’re getting older and having senior moments too early. Maybe you are lacking mental energy and focus. You might be stuck in bad habits and not performing at your best, and wondering how you can turn things around.
An entrepreneur, podcast host, and New York Times bestselling author, today’s guest Dave Asprey is the perfect person to tell us how to switch our brain back on. Before he launched the career we know him for, Dave was a twenty-something struggling with poor mental performance, and he’s here to tell us how he turned it all around.
In this episode, we will explain why living past 120 years old is getting closer to becoming a reality. Dave will give us some pointers on what to eat, how to boost our sleep, and supplements to try to get our brains firing again. Finally, we will tell you what foods you should be avoiding to benefit your brain, and why you should think about everything you do in terms of return on investment.
- We have been working for millennia on living longer and having more energy, including through practices like Ayurveda, ancient Chinese Medicine, and ancient European practices
- Our ability to accelerate living forever will only become stronger thanks to research
- 120-year-olds walk the earth right now—can we do 50% better with all the scientific knowledge we have now?
- His brain was switched off in mid-twenties—he was forgetting things, having to reread information multiple times, bought himself disability insurance
- Started hanging out with doctors and met people 2-3x his age with high functioning brains
WHERE TO START
- Dave’s book mentioned: Super Human
- Get outside into nature
- Ensure you have good sleep hygiene: make sure it’s dark before bed
- Getting more REM sleep will help. During sleep, your body repairs itself, consolidates your memory and undergoes cleaning processes
- Products mentioned: True Dark glasses | Life Cykel mushroom extract
- Neurotropic and other supplements available at Bulletproof
- Caffeine is a natural smart drug. Drink it in normal doses. It has been researched in conjunction with many diseases, doubles ketone production and boosts your neurons
- Nicotine is another natural smart drug. According to an early study from Vanderbilt University, oral nicotine (not smoking) can reverse Alzheimer’s disease.
- Nicotine alone is as addictive as coffee, but if you take it in conjunction with other compounds (e.g. through vaping or smoking) it will negatively affect your health.
- Omega 3 fish oils: your brain is able to effectively use them to make cell membranes.
- Rosemary: this is a cognitive enhancer according to studies.
- Focus on using natural enhancing compounds and boosting compounds.
FOOD: REAL AND JUNK
- Things that are designed to taste like things that they are not are usually a bad idea. They don’t affect your body in the same way as the original food would.
- Eat for how you will feel afterward, flavor, and cost.
- The worst thing you can eat on a regular basis is fried food. If you have a choice between fried food or smoking a cigarette, choose the cigarette.
- Perfection is not required, in fact, perfection will make you old very quickly as it will make you worried and stressed.
- Think of everything you do in terms of return on investment. The investments that matter most are energy and time. If you have no energy or time, does money matter?
SHARE WITH US
- Take a screenshot of this episode, tag us on social media (@jimkwik & @daveasprey) and share your best tip for getting out of burnout!
- Go to daveasprey.com for deals on his new book, Super Human
- You can also find it on Amazon: Super Human
*Please note, this episode is educational only and is not intended to diagnose or treat medical conditions. Please consult your healthcare provider if you have any questions or concerns.*
Related Kwik Brain Episodes You Might Enjoy
Episode 88: Eating for Your Brain with Dr. Lisa Mosconi
Episode 90: Sleep, Eat, Move & Think Better with Dr. Greg Wells Part 1
Episode 135: Kwik Tips to Sleep Better
Episode 136: How to Have Mental Longevity