In this conversation, we’ll take you through 3 simple steps that you can apply today to relieve the pressure you’re feeling. We’ll explain the power of breathing to realign your body and mind, how visualization can help you to deal with the stress of upcoming events, and how simply listening to sound can bring your deepest attention to the situation you’re in.
If you haven’t listened to my previous episode with Jay about doing a digital detox, you can check it out here!
RELIEVING PRESSURE STEP 1: BREATHING
- We feel physical and mental pressure throughout the day usually because our mind is ahead of our body, or our body is ahead of our mind.
- For example, you might be running to a meeting while your mind is disconnected and wanting to still be in bed, or your body is exhausted and your mind is racing through to-do lists.
- This creates friction and disconnection. When what we say and do are in alignment, we experience harmony
- Try to realign your body in mind by focusing on breathing: breathe in for a count of 4, breathe out for a count of 4 (count in your head, at your own pace)
RELIEVING PRESSURE STEP 2: VISUALIZATION
- Visualization: well-known sports stars use visualization to deal with
- Using visualization allows you to deal with the pressure and stress before the activity actually happens
- It allows you to fast-forward an experience to the present in a situation where you’re not yet experiencing the pressure and stress so you can engage with it better
- For example, visualize your success before a big meeting by imagining each step of the process—walking in with confidence, not falling over on the stage, saying the first word with composure, speaking eloquently and so on
- Then when you actually attend the meeting, you will carry that energy with you
- One of the biggest mistakes we make is stressing before an activity, but not preparing for an activity
- Jay uses visualization to prepare for going on stage to speak at events
- A visualization is a form of mental rehearsal, usually we mentally rehearse what could go wrong, and think dwelling on stress and pressure helps us deal with it—this is unhelpful!
- We can reprogram ourselves to deal with stress how we want to through visualization
RELIEVING PRESSURE STEP 3: FOCUS ON SOUND
- When we’re in a coma or toward the end of our lives, we can still hear the sound
- The sound wakes us up in the morning and touches our consciousness at the deepest level
- Observe the sound in the space you’re in right now, wherever you are. This will bring your deepest attention to that place and be present.
- If we’re scared of being lonely, we’ve never learned to be alone
- Don’t forget to take a screenshot of this episode, tag us both on social media (@JayShettyIW & @jimkwik) and share what you’re going to do as part of your digital detox with us!