4 Keys to Changing Your Behavior & Habits
"If you want something you’ve never had, you have to do something you’ve never done."
A common subject raised this week in the Kwik Brain Facebook community was a big one: how can we create change that lasts? We all have something we want to learn or something we want to change, but all too often we leave these things as wishes we hope will come true rather than working to make them a reality. If you have something you want to make happen in your life, this show is for you!
If you want a new result in your life, you will have to do something you’ve never done, but most people can’t get out of their own way. We have on average about 60-70,000 thoughts a day, but the majority of these thoughts are the same ones we had yesterday and the day before that. It’s time to change the pattern: to stop saying I wish this would change, to start taking I wish and turning it into I will.
No matter your age, your brain is a muscle that grows through use, through neurogenesis, neuroplasticity, novelty, and nutrition. In order to create change, we need to try something new every single day. We only have one life after all! That’s why I’ve created the Kwik Challenge, which I’m inviting you to join in today’s episode!
In this episode, I’ll be giving you some quick advice and inspirational ideas on change, and walking you through the “Three Cs” to creating lasting change. I’ll explain how you can sign up for the Kwik Challenge and join a community looking to build happier, healthier habits each week and create change in their lives!
CREATING CHANGE: QUICK THOUGHTS FROM JIM
- An average person has about 60-70k thoughts a day, but the problem is 90-95% of those thoughts are the same thoughts they had yesterday and the day before that
- If you want something brand new you have to stop doing something old: one must do something new in order to see something new
- If you want a new result in your life, you have to do a new behavior
- If you want something you’ve never had, you have to do something you’ve never done, but most people can’t get out of their own way
- Stop saying I wish this would change, I hope this will change. Hope is not a strategy: take I wish and turn it into I will
- To create change, try something brand new every single day
- We’re given this one precious life to figure it out, and life can be extremely boring if we stay within what we already know
- If you’re inspired to try something new, try it using the three C’s below
TRY IT OUT! DO THREE TRIES
- We all have something we want to learn—whether it’s salsa, juggling, taking a cold shower
- Remember: first you create your habits, then your habits create you
- Try it once to get over the fear of it
- Try it a second time to begin to learn it
- Try it a third time to work out if you love it or not
- The goal is to understand the process of doing the activity
Think about a change you want to make in your life, and consider the following 3 keys to creating lasting change:
FIRST C: CONSISTENCY
SECOND C: CAPABILITY
- The actual skill and strategy of being able to do something
- Capability usually comes from the Third C, Challenge: as you challenge yourself you develop your skills and strengths
THIRD C: CHALLENGE
- Which challenge comes change: you get better and more capable at something the more you challenge yourself
- When you do the hard things, life gets easier—because you’re getting better, you’re challenging yourself!
- When you just do the easy things in life (like procrastinating), life gets hard
- Life will give you challenges, but once you get to the other side of the challenge, you will be stronger for it
- Through challenges, you develop fortitude, capability, grit, and strength
FOURTH C: COACH
- I’m honored to be your brain coach. I’m here to help you become consistent, build your capability and challenge you to become better
- We’re creating a Kwik Challenge for people who want to level up their brains—there is no fee to join!
- Now is the time to make a change—I will be giving you ten new challenges
- This challenge is for people who want to take knowledge and turn it into power, join a community of people who are ready to make changes in their lives
- Big changes come from making little changes: consistency compounds
- Go to kwikchallenge.com and join us!
- Every week I’m going to be giving you a new challenge!
- I’m going to give you 100%, and I’m going to ask that you give yourself 100% too and do the work
JOIN THE CHALLENGE!
- Check out kwikchallenge.com
- As part of your accountability, you’ll be taking a screenshot during each challenge and posting it on social media so we can see the proof of your efforts
- Use the hashtag #kwikchallenge
- Change doesn’t have to be difficult—it’s little things that add up to big things!
- Get a challenge buddy if you can! We’re more likely to follow through if we’re accountable to somebody else
- At the end of the challenge, you’ll be a master of change and know how to introduce changes and learn skills in future
- Change your brain and change your life, change your life and you can change the world
Take a screenshot of this episode, tag us, use the hashtag #kwikchallenge and let me know “I’m in!” for the challenge on social media! Together we can create a movement of people working to create change.
Tag us on social media: @jimkwik | @kwikbrain