“If you want an advantage in your life, take care of the organ that makes every single decision that you have.” —Daniel Amen
This week’s podcast is all about building a healthy brain—and we welcome special guest Dr. Daniel Amen! This is the first part of a special three-part Kwik Brain series with Daniel, where we’ll be walking you through his seven steps to a healthy brain.
Many of us struggle with focus, mental fatigue, brain fog, and memory loss, and today’s guest Dr. Amen—one of America’s leading psychiatrists who has helped millions of people change their lives and is a ten-time New York Times bestselling author—is here to tell us not only how to counter these problems, but how to build a healthier brain.
Our brain controls literally everything—our careers, relationships, health, and happiness. This talk is about getting some inspiration and instruction on how to unleash the power between your ears.
Dr. Amen’s book Change Your Brain, Change Your Life has impacted so many people’s lives, including mine. It’s an honor to have him as an extraordinary guest on the podcast, and today we’ll be diverging from our usual guest interview format in order to give you access to an exclusive talk by Dr. Amen that we hosted at a private gathering for our Kwik Brain students.
In this episode, we’ll listen to Dr. Amen explain why success in any pursuit depends on having a healthy brain and why we should focus more on our brains. He’ll explain why we need to be warriors for our own health, and explain why his principles about having a healthy brain attack the notion of free will. He’ll give us some practical exercises to motivate us to be healthy and hold us accountable along the way.
As Dr. Amen says in the introduction: “if you pay attention to me, this information has the ability to improve everything in your life”—so don’t forget to take lots of notes and enjoy!
BRAINS CONTROL EVERYTHING
- Brains run the world and control everything: stock market, local market, schools, governments, corporations, shops, families, etc., and you!
- But we rarely think about the brain because you can’t see it—this is a mistake
- Alzheimer’s starts in the brain 30-50 years before you have any symptoms / no time to wait to get healthy—some of you are waiting until you get sick before you start getting well
- Success in anything you do starts with a healthy brain
- Big idea: with a little forethought (that comes from the prefrontal cortex that is 30% of the human brain, and is the part of the brain that makes us human) you can boost your brain and improve any area of your life
- BRAIN EXCELLENCE
- Your competitive advantage
- If you want an advantage in your life, take care of the organ that makes every single decision in your life
- Your brain is involved in everything: how you act, think, and get along with other people, your judgment, character, personality, intelligence, and planning
- Remember: when your brain works right, you work right. When your brain is troubled you’re much more likely to have troubles in your life
- Books mentioned: Amen Solution and Change Your Brain Change Your Body about the connection between the brain and physical health
- This principle directly attacks the notion of free will. Free will is a brain function that can be compromised through things like accidents, depression—leading you to be sadder, sicker, poorer, less successful and experiencing poorer decision-making and impulse control
- With a healthy brain, people are happier and physically happier, wiser and more successful
- Book mentioned: Use Your Brain to Change Your Age
- We get less active over time with ageing—and your brain is atrophying as you age too
- Remember: you have to be a warrior for your health in our society that is going the wrong way with health
- WHY DO YOU CARE
- If you don’t get this step right you’ll never get truly healthy
- Why do you want to have a healthy brain? Write down 5 reasons.
- Dinosaur syndrome: multiple studies were done showing that as your weight goes up, the physical size and function of your brain goes down
- Write down what anchor images you can use to immediately remind yourself why being healthy is essential
- If you don’t have the why it will get too hard along the way
Dr. Daniel Amen is one of America’s leading psychiatrists and brain health experts. He’s the founder of Amen Clinics and BrainMD, a double board-certified psychiatrist and Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association, a neuroscientist and has helped millions of people change their lives through clinics, best-selling books, products, and public television programs. Dr. Amen is the author or coauthor of 70 professional articles as well as a ten-time New York Times bestselling author, including of the New York Times mega-bestseller Change Your Brain, Change Your Life.
His breakthrough public television programs on the brain and mental health have made him well loved by millions of viewers seeking guidance on memory, attention, other cognitive functions, emotional issues, behavior, and more.
Dr. Amen’s work has been featured in Newsweek, Time, Huffington Post, ABC World News, 20/20, BBC, London Telegraph, Parade Magazine, New York Times, New York Times Magazine, Washington Post, LA Times, Men’s Health, Bottom Line and Cosmopolitan, among many other outlets.
Related Kwik Brain Episodes You Might Enjoy