“We all have the capacity to heal.” —Stephanie Estima
This week’s podcast is all about building a ‘shredded’ superfit mind—and we welcome special guest Stephanie Estima!
How can we get a shredded mind? How can we achieve a shredded body? The two are deeply interconnected—a shredded body starts in the mind, which needs the regular exercise and maintenance you would give your body.
A chiropractor, healer, and biohacker who has built her career on helping others to achieve extraordinary health, today’s guest Stephanie Estima is here to tell us how we can, through small and simple steps in our daily lives, build a healthier, happier, more shredded mind.
In this conversation, we talk about what a shredded mind looks life, the best way to fuel your brain, and the benefits of structure and daily routines. We talk about countering your inner critic, how to bounce back when you’re struggling with motivation, and some ideas to help you set life-changing goals that can be broken down into achievable pieces.
WHAT IS A SHREDDED MIND?
- Everything that is important to a shredded body also applies to the mind: a shredded mind is about power, speed, agility
- Achieving a shredded body starts with the mind and cognitive health
- Stephanie’s Four Fs are explained below! Fuel, Framework, Future,
- The best Brain Fuel: higher fat diet, lowering your processed carbohydrates—this allows your body to create a ketone state (using your own fat cells for fuel), which is a more efficient source of energy than glucose, and increases BDNF (brain-derived neurotrophic factor) to protect the brain cells you already have and stimulate the development of new cells
- Second F, Frameworks: setting up routines and structures will give you more freedom—give yourself consistency with daily tasks e.g. journaling, gratitude exercises, a cold shower.
- For the creatives who are against structure: inserting structure into your day will allow you to work more effectively and give you concrete blocks of time to work within. Creativity lives in your neocortex, not in fight or flight or scarcity, and is best accessed when you’re settled from routine.
- Stephanie’s non-negotiables: Morning: 5-minute journal, gratitude, priming—a little gentle exercise. Evening: an evening walk, keeping the bedroom dark and cool for sleep.
- Third F, Fears: Counter the inner critic: become more awake to when the voice is talking, and don’t let it put you off doing new things— learn to act anyway.
- Use breath work, vagus nerve breathing as a helpful mindfulness tool: exhale for twice as long as you inhale.
- If you’re struggling with motivation or feeling overwhelmed, start with something tiny: try just 2 minutes of a breathing.
- Fourth F, Future: Think about the legacy and the message you want to leave, what you want to have achieved before you leave. Divide your goals into 1, 5, 10 and 20 years plans and break them down into tiny little chunks so they become achievable.
- We all have the capacity to heal, we just need the tools and tricks to allow our bodies to heal.
Stephanie Estima is a chiropractor, healer, mother and biohacker dedicated to changing lives through evidence-based health strategies like chiropractic, nutrition, fitness, and mindset. Dr. Stephanie is a big-hearted, energetic, and compassionate healer, with a Special interest in brain optimization, functional neurology, and weight loss.
Stephanie is a graduate of the University of Toronto, has studied neuroscience and psychology and received a Bachelor of Science with Honours, before going on to complete her Doctor of Chiropractic degree at the Canadian Memorial Chiropractic College.
Dr. Stephanie loves helping her clients achieve extraordinary health through her private practice in downtown Toronto: The Health Loft.