You are what you eat – so how can you have an amazing brain? In this episode, I share the top 10 brain foods I eat every day (with recipes!) – and how to remember them without writing them down.
You are what you eat. What you eat affects your brain and body, so you want foods that are rich in antioxidants, good fats, vitamins, and minerals.
These 10 foods will protect your brain and give you the energy and vitality you need to overcome mental fog and fatigue.
Don’t write them down!
My 10 Favorite Brain Foods
- Helps keep healthy blood flow
- Good source of monounsaturated fats
2. Blueberries (or ‘brainberries!).
- Protects your brain from oxidative stress
- Reduces the effect of brain-aging conditions
- Rats who ate blueberries had improved overall learning capacity and motor skills and were mentally younger
- Remarkable source of fiber
- Rich in vitamin K, which is known to enhance cognitive function and improve brainpower
4. Coconut Oil.
- Medium chain fatty acid, which ignites your body’s fat-burning furnaces to help create ketones
- Full of memory-improving choline, Omega-3s, and vitamin E
6. Green Leafy Vegetables.
- Spinach, kale, collard greens
- Good sources of vitamin E and folate
- Wild deepwater fish rich in Omega-3s and DHA
Sardines are also good.
- Reduces inflammation and helps boost antioxidant levels
- Keeps your immune system healthy
- Improves brain’s oxygen intake to you alert and able to process information
Recipe: I start my days with turmeric tea. I combine turmeric, pepper (to absorb the turmeric better), honey, coconut oil, and hot water.
- High levels of antioxidants and zinc
- Rich in vitamin E, which protects your neurons
- Wards off brain-aging conditions
- Lots of magnesium, which improves your mood and thus your brain
10. Dark Chocolate.
- Improves your focus, concentration, and mood
- Stimulates endorphins
- Generally, the darker the chocolate, the purer and better for your brain
BONUS 11. Water.
- Your brain and body are about 75% water
- Several studies show that well-hydrated people score better on brainpower tests
Recipe: Blend water, green leafy vegetables, blueberries, avocado, and coconut oil for an easy brain smoothie!
Want to remember all 10? To learn them, you’ll also need to learn the body list. Make it interactive and touch each part as you learn it to help you remember.
The Body List
1. Top, aka the top of your head.
5. Larynx, aka your throat.
Imagination is more powerful than knowledge – Albert Einstein.
Remember these foods (or your grocery list) by putting each food in each place!
1. Avocados + Top.
Imagine balancing avocados or guacamole on top of your head.
2. Blueberries + Nose.
Imagine blueberries coming out of your nose. What does it smell like? What does it feel like?
3. Broccoli + Mouth.
Imagine steamed broccoli coming out of your mouth.
4. Coconut Oil + Ears.
Feel coconut oil coming out of your ears.
5. Eggs + Larynx.
Imagine eggs all over your throat. If you have an Adam’s apple, imagine that it’s an egg instead.
6. Green Leafy Vegetables + Shoulders.
Look to your left and right. See your shoulders. See green leafy vegetables all over them.
7. Salmon + Collar.
Imagine a necklace made out of salmon.
8. Turmeric + Fingers.
Imagine that you are dipping your fingers in turmeric. See the golden powder getting all over the place.
9. Walnuts + Belly Button.
Imagine walnuts coming out of your belly button.
10. Dark Chocolate + Seat.
What can you imagine?
When you need to remember this list, just go down your body!
How did you do? Can you do it backwards? Use the Body List to remember other items – and share your results with me @jimkwik, #KwikBrain, and in our private Facebook group!
Like this episode? Please share it with the hashtag #KwikBrain! My podcast is ad-free ONLY because you share my work!